Information, CV (in German)
To use only in connection with the exhibitions at European House of Art Upper Bavaria - Schafhof mentioning the following credits:
© artist, European House of Art Upper Bavaria - Schafhof
ROBERT STARK: WHITE BALANCE
28 June - 28 July, 2013
27 June, 2013, Thursday 7 p.m.
Introduction: Dr. Björn Vedder, art historian / philosopher
14 June, 2013, Sunday 3 p.m.
Artist's talk with Robert Stark and Peter Haimerl, architect
View into the exhibition
About the artists
The focal point of Robert Stark’s artistic work is the investigation of architecture in its specific spatial and historical environment. He explores special features in relation to their respective location, their volumes and structures and the role of architecture in various social and political systems.
The foci of object and room installations were the first to develop from this interaction; this also includes ’Werkblock’ exhibition drawings since 2009 and photography since 2010. Light and shade are important parts of all of his fields of work as they clearly emphasise structures and forms.
In his work with room installations Stark mainly seeks dialogue and confrontation with specific spaces, involving a large number of viewpoints on architectural history. The focusof his formulations is rendering visible, tracing and perceiving space; his architectural sculptures are completely based on the features and dimensions of the room in question.
The white objects and their bearing plinths are an additional significant foundation of Robert Stark's artistic work both in terms of their form and content. This specifically concerns interaction with art and architectural history, forms and meanings, commonalities and differences. References to everyday and designer items are also addressed. The findings are converted into new compositions in a complex, montage-style process and find expression in simple, white objects.
The photographs, which are converted into inkjet prints, generally address forgotten and neglected spatial situations. Their coarse resolution and the marked contrast of the colouring, reduced to black and white, emphasises the graphic impression and ensures that contours emerge hard and clear. Materiality and architectural volumes decompose into monochrome structures and surfaces which border on the abstract.
Born in 1974 in Augsburg
Lives and works in München
- 2000 Study abroad at the University of Art and Design und Academy of Arts, Helsinki
- 1998–2004 Studied architecture at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste München Kunstakademie (Munich academy of fine arts – Art academy) with Nikolaus Gerhart and Hermann Pitz
Scholarships / funding
- 2011/2012 Braunschweig Project/arts funding from the Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture
- 2011 Project scholarship from the Steiner Foundation
- 2012 European art scholarship from the District of Upper Bavaria, Basque region (Spain)
- 2010 Artist in residence at the NAIRS art house in Scuol, Graubünden
- 2009/10 Scholarship from the Villa Concordia, Bamberg
- 2009 Award for the advancement of arts from the city of Augsburg
- 2008 Fellow at the Paul Klee Center summer academy, Bern
- Weißabgleich, Schafhof – Europäisches Künstlerhaus Oberbayern, Freising
- Angenommen, dass …, Galerie der Künstler München
- Uncharted, 267 Quartiere für zeitgenössische Kunst und Fotografie, Braunschweig
- Hans-Purrmann-Förderpreis-Ausstellung, Speyer
- Maßstab – Statik – Differenz oder Der unerzählte Raum zwischen
zwei Punkten, Neue Galerie im Höhmannhaus, Augsburg
- Hartu eta eman – Discursos y recursos, Vitoria-Gasteiz / Spain
- Transfer: Spanien 1, Schafhof – Europäisches Künstlerhaus Oberbayern
- Curraint D´ajer, NAIRS, Scuol, Engadin / Switzerland
- Lernen von Pjöngjang, Lothringer13/Laden, München
- 50 Jahre Kunstförderpreis der Stadt Augsburg,
H2 – Zentrum für Gegenwartskunst im Glaspalast, Augsburg
- Sonne und Regen, Villa Concordia Bamberg
- Dragged down into lowercase,
Sommerakademie im Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern / Switzerland
- Die ersten Jahre der Professionalität 27,
Galerie der Künstler München
- Die Gegenwart des Vergangenen,
Forum für Wissenschaft und Kunst, Leipzig
- Schwarz Brot Gold, Kunstverein Oldenburg
- Beyond Beneath Behind, Kunstcodex München
- BUGA, München
- Das Blühen will nicht enden, AkademieGalerie München
- Water-Conference, Rantasalmi / Finland